West Adams has a been a good experience. I wanted to be a teacher and I now realize how hard it is to control a classroom full of students. It seems that the students opened up when they were in small groups and were real to them. The students are very smart and can read you very well. So as Abel said, go in there with a plan because the time that you have is limited with them and it is necessary to make the most of it. of course this may compromise the ability of letting something organic come out. But with a good plan you can direct the students in a general direction.
I have learned that dividing work among many people is difficult. You have to divide the work in the beginning and know who has what skills. When people do not have the skills to do something the burden falls upon those that kind of know what they are doing and that is unfair.
I do not feel that the students truly appreciated what we were doing/ directly think that we did them any good except have an hour of class where they dont do anything except talk. But indirectly i think we had a very good effect on them because for the people that spoke up and did talk about why they want to go to college and where they want to go. It helps them internalize the fact that they have a goal and that they are working towards it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment