Monday, April 25, 2011

Entry #5

The students were definitely timid at first, but in the past couple of weeks have definitely opened up. The call us by our first names and wish us goodbye and see you soon. These boys have such good manners and I love hanging out with them! Also, when we told the boys what our documentary was going to focus on, they were very excited and many of them volunteered to help and even get interviewed. They understand that a media piece like this can make a difference and they are very passionate in helping in any way they can. The staff and teachers are also very open to our project and want us to hear their opinions as well. It is a nice atmosphere to work in when you want to get deep into a taboo topic. My emotional response to everyone is truly gracious! Everyone is willing to help and it makes our job in documenting everything so much easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boo... I wrote this whole long thing and it all got deleted! All well..

For the past semester, Rick and the boys at Fades for Grades seemed to have accepted us right from the start. Although it took them a little while to open up to us, we weren't discouraged by it because we knew it would take time. After all, why would they have to share their issues and struggles with people they barely knew? However, surprisingly, the boys started opening up to us on their own. In fact, I thought they were pretty eager to share their ideas and thoughts for the documentary.

Gradually, I felt that the boys looked forward to our visits because it was their chance to voice their opinions. Other than the fact that the boys who came out more would probably be shown in the documentary more, I thought that they were excited to know what it was like behind the cameras and on camera. Being the smart boys that they are, they had a lot to say about education, life, society, etc. For once, I think they felt good to be the center stage. They made the overall experience so enjoyable for us with their enthusiasm. Also, I'm sure that they just thought we were an interesting grew, going every Monday with 4 girls and 1 guy. Fun stuff :)