Monday, April 25, 2011

Blog 6

Option One: Write about your role as an “activist” with your community partner.

I have been an activist in the community since High School when I founded the P'Tones Records organization. I really didn't know what I was getting involved with until I spent a year doing what I set out to do, create a nationwide after school music program. What you have in your mind about what you are doing or who you are helping is just your imagination until you have experienced it hands on. Just acknowledging and appreciating what Rick does at Fades for Grades is so valuable. In our partnership which allows our group to go in there and teach a curriculum to inspire the youth and motivate them to better themselves and see the options out there often go over our heads.

To know that they are passionate about the project you are bringing them is a great feeling and provides a sense of achievement. It is a great opportunity to work with youth, specifically with these kids who are a unique group looking to push themselves to their highest potential. These kids are all willing to learn and work hard and get involved. They rise to the challenge and you would never guess that their support system at home or in school outside of this program is broken.

You get to know some of these guys on another level and you only wish the best for them. You sit there and wonder how they turned out so strong and confident despite their situations at home. Whether a kid starts out as a C student when they join fades for grades their grades improve because their self-esteem and confidence grows as a part of the program.

We were fortunate enough to bring an already established curriculum, and a interest that most of them had to them. You can see their effort that they apply in their school work in our program and you get something really special. Sometimes you get some kids who are disconnected from the program, and are the troublemakers but the majority of the group will block them out and tell them to stop distracting.

We had an amazing experience with the kids and it was time well spent.

No comments: