Monday, April 25, 2011

Blog Entry 5

Entry Five:

How are the students, clients, and/or staff responding to your efforts? Do you think that your presence is anticipated or appreciated? What is your emotional response to others’ reaction towards you?

I think the students are responding very well to our efforts. I think they are responsive because they actually enjoy the process. Making music, more specifically, making beats, writing lyrics, sketching album designs and recording in the studio is fun for them. Most of the kids had an interest in music before we started showing up, so we got lucky in that regard. I also think the staff has responded very well to the project. Matthew, the barber who cuts the kids hair for Fades 4 Grades, is an aspiring rapper and has lectured the kids and helped us with the project. He was paramount in helping the kids understand that writing lyrics is less about rhyming words and more about expressing emotions, opinions and creating art.

I think our presence is appreciated more than anticipated. I say this because the kids enjoy having someone push them to finish the creative process. Often times the kids will say they worked on lyrics or the album design, but lost focus after a while and moved on to something else. Wth our group coming for regular visits, the kids are better able to monitor their progress and keep the end goal in mind. We also have insight into the album making process that they are eager to learn about. They enjoy hearing about why lil Wayne's album markets him the way they do, the want to know why kid cudi has an intern monitor his twitter account. They want to know the ins and outs of the music industry and how it can affect their lives. In that regard, I think the students appreciate our visits.

I think because I worked as a camp counselor in previous summers, I am more comfortable with meeting and helping younger kids. Thus, my emotional response to the kids and staffs action towards me was positive and comfortable. Rick does a great job of making us feel comfortable and helping us out when the kids get more rowdy. He helped us gain their respect and attention. After the first two weeks, our group developed a storng bond with the kids and it has only grown stronger since. I am excited for them to get on campus!

No comments: