I want the members in WRIT340 Writing in the Community how great of an experience working at a school was. The privilege wasn't just working with the young men, but in the environment. It was so much fun to go every Monday to Crenshaw to just hang out and get to know them. They have such interesting backgrounds and stories to tell. I loved working with kids before, but this really intensified my love for helping the younger generation. I have never worked with kids so close to my age where when you talk, you are always on the same page. We all had so much in common with distractions of the opposite sex to being Facebook addicts. As the next generation, we grew up with the same technologies.
It was a pleasure to work with all the young men because I was able to see changes in the guys. The first day we went there, they were very shy without any eye contact if they did say anything. Today, when we discussed our documentary, the boys have really grown. They were freely critiquing our work and elaborating in their sentences eloquently. My favorite part is when we took a group picture, one of the 9th graders put his arm around my neck. That is when I felt how close we have gotten and how much I am going to miss them. The experience we were able to share with the young men affect us as much as it may have affected them. We both were able to takeaway a better understanding of each others lifestyles.
This class as well as the program was definitely the highlight of my semester, maybe even Junior year at USC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment