Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Herzberg Reading Response
I found this article to be insightful and very apt on the issues of social change and community service. Having gone to a religious high school where 25 hours of community service was required each year, I am only too familiar with students writing about their experiences of community service simply to get the "Easy A" as Herzberg puts it. This isn't to say that some students did not take advantage of the opportunity, thankfully. While I can see Herzber's point of view saying that community service can not by itself enact social change, I also have to more strongly agree with NICK.MARCONE's sentiments in the fact that this doesn't downgrade the value and impact on social change. In fact, I would liken Herzberg's comment to that of people who decide to abstain from political votes simply because they believe "One vote won't change anything." While it's true one vote won't change the world, it's the idea that as soon as you combine all of the people who believe 'one vote won't change anything' you suddenly realize that you have many votes together that CAN make a difference. With this in mind, I think it should be optimistic to look at the people in the world who are trying to make a difference. While it's true that there are many problems in the world as well as in the United States, the simple fact that people continue to try and improve our situation and continue to persevere through all of the challenges does show a promising light at the end of the tunnel. This isn't to say that we are very near the social changes that are to be desired, but looking at current efforts should give us hope to continue and elevate our efforts. Hope springs eternal, and the quest for social change and community service must keep an upbeat attitude and continue to strive for change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment