My second visit to Crenshaw High School definitely turned out to be interesting and fulfilling for the group. At first we were a little apprehensive because there weren't nearly as many boys as the last time, and some of the boys were new. We asked Rick if there would be an inconsistency in number for the rest of the semester, and his uncertainty made me a little nervous because I was really looking forward to building relationships with all of the boys. We decided to continue on with our plan, however, and we taught the boys how to work the cameras that we brought. We started out having them interview each other; they were a bit hesitant at first, but they got more into it when we started rotating and allowed them to ask whatever questions they wanted. They began to loosen up and show us different dance moves that they learned, and it was enjoyable to see how they interacted with each other.
Next we had the boys give us a filmed tour of their school. We split up in two different groups and walked around different parts of the campus while the boys pointed out different classrooms and areas. I really enjoyed how eager the boys were to let us into their world. Also, because we were a smaller group they were able to open up to us more about their lives and how their experience in this school has been. I was surprised to hear their candid stories and views about other students and themselves.
I think we were able to get some good footage for this visit, and it has definitely sparked some different ideas for us to gather for our final documentary.
2 comments:
The tours were an awesome idea..I'm so glad we went in that direction. While the interviews themselves were great (a few of the boys started right of the bat with hard-hitting questions...I'd say we have some future reporters on our hands) the walk around the high school was the best possible way to get to know the boys better. Their pride in their campus was obvious as they showed us everything from the gym to the film lab and the extensive garden plots. Not only did they show us different parts of the campus, but they shared personal anecdotes and told us bits and pieces about their classes, teachers, and peers. I'd say that after that last visit the boys are all a lot more comfortable with us, and transitioning into collaboration on the actual documentary itself will be much more natural.
Similar to what Melanie said, on our second visit to Crenshaw, the Fades for Grades group was a lot smaller. However, even though the group was small we were able to learn a lot about Crenshaw in terms of its campus, rules, teachers and the like by listening to the boys' personal experiences. By splitting up into two separate groups because we had two cameras to work with, it created a more comfortable atmosphere. I definitely feel that the boys Briana and I worked with that day felt a lot more at ease compared to how they were the first day we met them.
By having them introduce us to the campus, we were able to see what aspects of school sparked their interests. They showed us the trophies for basketball, football and other sports teams along with every building at their school, the track field, tennis courts and garden, showing us their school spirit. After this visit, I had high hopes for the weeks to come.
Post a Comment